We all love stainless steel appliances. They are incredibly versatile when it comes to looks and designs. They can fit an elegant design theme and a contemporary and traditional theme, too. They look classy and they stand out as a more high-end version of appliances compared to others on the market.
The latest trend in appliances is black stainless steel. This is the same great metal that stainless steel presents itself as, just a different finished look.
Let’s take a deeper look into this new trend – and see if it may be the next choice in appliances for your kitchen.
The benefits of black stainless steel
Well, to begin with, stainless steel is a wonderful metal that can offer you appliances that are durable, as well as free from rust and corrosion.
But, what about black stainless steel, and does it offer the same perks?
Let’s take a look!
Some of the benefits that you will find with black stainless steel include the following:
- Fingerprint resistant
- Black stainless steel blends well with stainless steel
- It combines the dark appearance homeowners love, with a modern touch
It is a durable choice for kitchen appliances. It is strong and resistant to rust and corrosion. This means it will hold up over time – especially in heavily used kitchens.
It is fingerprint resistant. A common complaint amongst owners with stainless steel appliances, manufacturers ensure black stainless steel will give you a smudge-free, fingerprint-free finish.
HRF3602BS French Door Refrigerator in Black Stainless Steel
It blends well. You don’t have to have all black stainless-steel appliances. You can mix them between black and regular and they should still maintain the overall flow of your kitchen.
It is in demand. It’s new – so it is not as common. Having appliances in black stainless steel puts you in a special, elite, category.
What should you look out for?
With all of these good things, there is bound to be some negatives when it comes to black stainless steel, right? To be honest, the cons are very minimal. The biggest being that the finish varies.
HRG3080-BS 30 inch Professional Gas Range in Black Stainless Steel
Unlike regular stainless steel, black stainless-steel appliances come in varying shades – and it may be very noticeable. If you are one who likes to piece shop among brands, you may find a very mixed bag of black finishes in your kitchen.
Your best bet when it comes to selecting black stainless-steel appliances for your kitchen is to purchase an appliance suite. Or, at the very least, stick to the same manufacturer.
Caring for black stainless steel
One of the benefits of this black stainless steel appliance trend is how easy they are to clean. You don’t need any special “stainless steel” products to get them clean and free of smudges. In fact, as mentioned above – they don’t even show fingerprints or smudges.
When it comes to cleaning, you can either simply use a soft, dry cloth. Or, for tougher jobs, you can use a soft cloth with warm, soapy water. Wipe it down and then dry it off. It is that easy.
HRG3618-BS 36 inch Professional Gas Range in Black Stainless Steel
Because these appliances are made from a black coating over stainless steel, there is a chance that they could be nicked or scratched. Most manufacturers offer touch-up paint that can be used to correct the damage. Make sure, however, that you purchase this only from the manufacturer to be sure the colors match.
What design types does it fit?
Believe it or not black stainless steel will fit in with most design types. In fact, you may find that they fit in kitchens where regular stainless steel would not.
HRG4808-BS 48 inch Professional Gas Range in Black Stainless Steel
Perhaps it is their matte finish that allows them to look trendy and neat, but not bright and shiny – and overly eye-catching.
- Painted cabinets are a common trend in kitchens. Due to the finish of black stainless steel appliances, they fit well with these painted cabinets.
- Black and grey fit very well together. In today’s kitchens, grey is a common color, whether in flooring, walls, countertops, or cabinets. This is a common color scheme in modern and contemporary-designed kitchens. This would mix well with black stainless steel appliances.
- Farmhouse or rustic designs are perfect for black stainless steel. They are designed with history and tradition in mind. When you throw in bright, stainless steel appliances, it can throw off the entire look.
- Deep wood cabinetry is beautiful. The earth tones offer a calming, naturistic feel to the kitchen. When adding bright metal appliances, you nearly destroy the vibe altogether. However, black stainless steel will blend nice and easy.
- Elegant or Victorian-era design schemes often come with bright golden metals. This may be the case for plumbing fixtures, cabinet knobs and pulls, or even light fixtures. While silver and gold do, on occasion, flow well with one another, that is not necessarily the case for your kitchen. Mixing stainless steel with gold or bronze can lead to overkill. You will find, though, that black stainless steel provides a neutral space for these golds to shine.
Is it as timeless as stainless steel?
Stainless steel has been around for a very long time. And, quite honestly, it is still a very sought-after choice for appliance finishes. For good reason – it looks good and it is versatile. But, now we’ve got a new player in the game: black stainless steel. Will it be able to hold up as well as its silver sister?
It seems so. After all, it is nearly as versatile as stainless steel. Plus, with its claim of a smudge-free, fingerprint free finish, mothers everywhere are cheering. This trend just may find itself growing in popularity among young families.
Black stainless steel doesn’t seem to be a trend that will fade anytime soon. It offers a nice finish that can fit into many existing kitchens – as well as those that are being remodeled. It is durable with a sweet look that is only going to grow in popularity. The more people see these appliances, the more likely the trend will be to grow.
Will you be adding black stainless steel appliances to your kitchen?